France at last!

It has now been nearly two months since our arrival.  When we first arrived on the 23rd of August, already in front of us were 2 weeks of orientation filled to the brim with tours and sightings.  From la Tour Eiffel to Sacre Coeur to the Moulin Rouge, every day checked something off our study abroad to-do list.  One of my favorite memories has been our first sighting of Notre Dame.  Our tour guide, Benjamin, led us from the metro on the way to Le Marais, with little to no introduction to the area.  While we walked, he casually said, “Oh yeah, there’s Notre Dame,” with a nonchalant head nod toward a church several hundred years older than the United States.

On Monday the 28th, we ventured on a bike tour of the city.  The views were amazing, and it was a good feeling to have biked 15 kilometers around Paris, but I don’t know that I’ve ever felt so sure I was going to get hit by a van.

Later that week, we visited Montmartre to see Sacre Coeur and the just-as-impressive view of the city.  Despite the pickpockets and steep climb, this was certainly one of my favorite orientation field trips.

-Miller Dew